Building Department


NOTE - Partial Closure for COVID-19 Prevention


PARTIAL CLOSURE is in place for all county offices.  Beginning Wednesday, March 25, 2020, walk-in access to the building department will be by appointment only. 


Most transactions with our department can be completed via phone or email.  Please call 435-755-1650 to schedule inspections or make payments.  Utility permits, such as for electrical meter upgrades, water heaters, or gas lines, can be issued over the phone as well.


For the duration of the partial closure, no paper applications or plans will be accepted for building permits.  All applications must be submitted digitally.  Please follow the instructions on the Electronic Plan Submission page.  Applications will be processed in the order they are recieved.  An inspector will email you when your plans have been reviewed.



Building in Cache County

The Cache County Building Department protects the health, safety, and general welfare of the public by enforcing compliance to current building codes.  The Building Department reviews plans, issues permits, and performs building inspections.

Cache County issues permits for the following areas and municipalities in Cache County: Amalga, Avon, Benson, Cornish, Cove, Hyrum, Millville, Paradise, Petersboro, Providence, Richmond, River Heights, Smithfield, Trenton, Wellsville, and all unincorporated county areas.


This office does not issue permits for property in the following cities:  Clarkston, Hyde Park, Lewiston, Mendon, Newton, Nibley, North Logan, and Logan City.  These incorporated areas issue their own building permits.  Contact the appropriate city office for any building inside these cities' limits.


Frequently Asked Questions - Check Here First


What can I build on my land?  Contact your city for zoning information.  For land in unincorporated county areas, the zoning department can help you determine parcel legality and any zoning restrictions that may apply to your property.  Most projects will need a zoning clearance as part of the building application process.


Do I need a building permit?  A permit is required for all new homes, additions to existing homes, sheds exceeding 200 square feet, shops, garages, and all commercial construction. A permit may be required for remodel work (check with our office).  If you're just replacing a furnace or an electrical panel, contact our office for a "40.40" permit.  Structures that may not require a building permit include:

  • Agricultural Buildings - may or may not require a building permit.  Contact the zoning department first.
  • Detached Storage Sheds - one story with floor space not exceeding 200 sq. ft.  Permit not required.
  • Fences not exceeding 7 ft tall.  Permit not required


How do I apply for a Building Permit?  Go to the Building Permit Applications page.


What if my contractor changes?   Fill out a Contractor Change Form and e-mail it to


How do I request an inspection?  Call 435-755-1650 during business hours.  See the Building Inspections page for details.


What about solar panels?  Always check with your city for any zoning or paperwork requirements they may have.  In unincorporated county areas, rooftop solar panels do not need a zoning clearance, but ground pedestal solar panels do need a zoning clearance.  Follow the instructions on the Building Permit Applications page, but you do not need a Manual J&D form.  You will need to provide diagrams/plans showing where the panels will go on the roof, dimensions, etc.  Also include any specifications packet by the manufacturer showing materials, weight, etc. in your application packet.


Can I apply online?  Applications for residential projects can be submitted online.  However, be sure that you send all application materials at the same time.  Check our Electronic Plan Submission page to view all the requirements for online applications.


How much will my permit cost?  Permit cost is dependent on several factors, including the square footage and value of the project.  Cost is determined after plans are reviewed.  Electrical panel and furnace replacements are the only permits with a set cost, which is $40.40.  For Zoning fees, see the Development Services Fee Schedule or contact your city to discuss any zoning and impact fees that may apply.


Contact Us


179 North Main St. Suite 305
Logan UT, 84321

Phone: (435) 755-1650


We are open Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  Please note that permit pickup and payment services end at 4:45pm.  We are closed weekends and holidays, including Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, and Pioneer Day.


Department Officials

Paul Berntson Brian Abbott Travis Checketts

Chief Building Official 

Deputy Building Official Building Official
Christian Stucki    
Building Official    





179 N Main Street &
199 N Main Street

Logan, UT 84321

(435) 755-1850